Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I Could Care Less If You Don't Want To Hear My Kid's Tantrum

Reading Matt Walsh's article in the Huffington Post took me back to a period in parenting that I seriously tried to erase from memory. I am so grateful my two and half year old is out of his shrieking, ultra meltdown temper tantrum stage where he would scream so loud in public I would fear windows would break. It got to the point I was afraid to take him outside because of the embarrassment I would face he would throw a tantrum. Seriously, it was that bad.

Then I realized keeping him locked indoors while he got over this stage was not an option and sometimes you have to take your kid out to do everyday stuff. Like go to Target or the supermarket. I'm not talking shopping at a high end department store, brunch or the general section of the library, I'm talking regular everyday activities.

Anyway, my approach to dealing with his behavior was to be consistent in not giving in to his tantrums and helping him verbalize his frustrations. Once he understood screaming was not going to get him his way because Mommy really, really doesn't like that shit he would cut it out. He also is speaking much better, allowing him to express his frustrations with words and not with screaming/crying/thrashing. 

As a parent, I don't encourage my child to act that way and at 0,1 or 2 they don't really have the ability to control themselves as much as a 5 year old can. I get it if my grade school aged kid was acting like a spoiled brat and I did nothing to stop it that people would get mad. And these people I keep talking about? The people that stare, give dirty looks and make comments under their breath. I've gotten to the point where I stare back. 

I found myself caring more about what people thought than trying to control the situation which is really two different things. Toddlers cry and whine and throw tantrums. It could be because they're tired, hungry, bored, whatever. It happens and people need to deal with it. We were all small children at some point, had small children, have small children or will have small children. If anything, these businesses that sell products that families need are benefiting from our business so if you don't like my kid making noise, you get out the store and go somewhere else.

I never in my life spent more money on groceries and random shit at Target and Duane Reade than I do now that I have a child so I don't get how other people feel they have the right to suggest these places are not places for children,  parents should leave their kids home, blah, blah, blah. Who are you to suggest that? Do you work for these companies? And if you do, let me know so I'll take my business elsewhere.

Listen, people have the right to stare, give dirty looks and talk shit under their breath as much as my toddler has the right to act like a toddler. All I'm saying is, if you really have a problem with me or my kid, come up to me and say something to my face or walk away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment